Vegan dessert: baked pear with vanilla sauce
Certain smells, moments and food remind me of winter as a child. It seems like it was only yesterday. Whenever I got back from skiing, freezing from head to toe, my mum would have a hot chocolate waiting for me. And a piece of Bundt cake. Or a wintry dessert on Sundays – baked apple with cranberries and vanilla sauce. Yummy!
It’s Sunday and I am attempting to stick to my New Year resolutions. C&C – creative cooking, that’s my new project. I bought a new camera as a Christmas present to myself and I am dying to try it out. And I’ve wanted to try this brilliant new vegan dessert recipe. I for one love out trying new things, so this is not your classic baked apple with cranberries. Instead, I settled on baked pear with berry jam and nuts. And of course, it’s vegan.
VEGAN DESSERT– INGREDIENTS FOR 4:
- 4 pears, any kind
- 8 tsps of berry jam, or alternatively raspberry or strawberry
- ½ lemon
- Nuts, as many (or few) as you like
- Vegan vanilla custard, I used Provamel’s vegan vanilla dessert
- Wash pears and half them
- Deseed the halves with a spoon to form a small hole
- Coat with lemon juice
- Chop up nuts
- Drop a teaspoon of jam into the hole and sprinkle nuts on top
- To finish, season with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Bake the pears in a fan oven for 40 minutes at 180°C
You can either eat the vanilla custard cold or hot (heat it up in the microwave). I personally prefer to the cold custard on the nut-jam mixture. I’m sure this will put you in a wintry mood. Your whole house will end up smelling like cinnamon! Enjoy!